Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Power steering cost and reasons for failure?

3 weeks ago my steering goes on my 2005 chevy silverado with 36k miles. I take it in to the shop they charge 380 after tax to fix the power steering pump. I asked them what could cause this to happen with such low miles they said either wear or defective unit. then 3 weeks later same thing happens. I take it back they say its the power steering gearbox now. that cost me 630 dollars after tax. I cant afford to get this steering fixed once a month. How do I know the gearbox was the source of all this crap. They missed the gearbox being shot the first time around how do i know its not something simple that is putting pressure on the gearbox and pump? SHould be no reason for failure at 36k miles. Fluid level has aways been checked. I have got to say comparing my business with other industries my Business blows any other business away as far as service and guarantees goes. I give the customer a price to fix a problem and if i dont i go back no charge. As far as paying the mechanic to change the power steering pump i think it was a half *** job. I went there to get the steering fixed not to have him replace a broken part there is a difference. He missed the gearbox the first time even after asking him what could cuase the pump to break.



so 1.did they charge a fair price? 1100 total for gearbox and pump.

2. why wouldnt thye have seen relized the gearbox was shot the first time.

3 what could cuase all that crap to break in the first place and should they have known or checked in other areas. I would think they would seeing how unuasual the repair is.





Normally after i get my car fixed i am worry free. I walked at worried this crap is going to blow up on me lose my steering becuase they missed something lose control of my truck and kill someone becuase of there incompitencePower steering cost and reasons for failure?
with that low miles, shouldn't it be covered under the factory warranty? Its not going to blow up and you lose your steering, Do you have aftermarket wheels, such as 20 inch rims or bigger? they will cause the power steering and parts to wear prematurely and go out. 1100 sounds about right for both parts fixed with labor and parts.