Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I change the power steering belt on a 1985 Oldsmobile 98 3.8L V6?

I have a 1985 Oldsmobile 98 3.8L V6 and the belt that seems to run the power steering and the water pump is very loose and worn out. It is inside the belt that runs the Alternator etc. I know with the alternator loosening the one bolt allows it to move down to remove the belt and up to tighten it back up so I can do that to get to the power steering belt but how do you take the power steering belt on and off? What keeps and releases the tension so I can change it out? Thanks in advance for any answers. I will choose however gives me the best answer.How do I change the power steering belt on a 1985 Oldsmobile 98 3.8L V6?
This should be the setup you have, if it uses V-belts, as opposed to a Serpentine multi-groove belt.



http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/l



Loosen the 3 bolts/nuts that have asterisks next to them. Note that one nut is in the back. When you tighten belt, be careful prying against the pump, as the reservoir case bends easily, and you could make it leak. Best to pry against the top/front area. Also, there are 2 bolts to loosen on the Alternator. One that goes through the slot, and another that serves as a pivot point. Easier to move if you loosen both. If it already was loose enough that you didn't have to loosen the pivot bolt, make sure you tighten it when you're done.How do I change the power steering belt on a 1985 Oldsmobile 98 3.8L V6?
i had a pontiac 6000 I think is similiar...there should be a tensioner...a kind of do nothing pulley that the belt runs through...normaly there is a nut/bolt that secures it in place or it is a constant tension type. there is alwys a spot to adjut it.sometimes it is a 3/8 drive socket(square you turn it in desired direction to temporarily release the tension,while knocking the belt off...